2013 Adolpho Reunion Meetings
Recent Committee Meeting held 6/2/2013 at Cheryl Yorks Hale
Attendance: Judi & Greg Adolpho, Toni Hopkins, Napua Kahawaiola'a, Eric K. Keawe, Nicole K. Poole, Cheryl York.
Families have been asking if they will be able to attend the dinner on Saturday only. Because of busy schedules we understand and would love to have families come even if it's only the luau. The question is what will the cost be for the luau only. The committee has decided $13 per person and there are no children prices. Remember we are getting a deal on Hawaiian Food. We may loose something from the original menu but we can only go with the numbers in paid registrants at this time. Again, any donations or early regisitrants are welcome to remit their funds as soon as possible to help us maintain our 200 person count for the luau.
Review the "schedule of events" section for the activities that we'll be having. We'll see you there!
We sincerely apologize for not posting any of the past three meetings weve held. They were located as follows:
3rd @ Iwa Keawe's Hale in Kailua
4th @ Eric Kaleolani's Hale in Papakolea
5th @ Cheryls Hale in Ka'a'awa
We have been discussing mainly Location in the early meetings. Now that we have QLCC secured for the weekend of July 5-7th we have been focusing on Fundraisers to subsidize cost and to assist our neighbor island ohana as much as possible for fun activities. T-shirt designs are still welcome, Nothing has been finalized however it will be finalized this next meeting. Please remit your designs to us ASAP. Via email or Facebook/adolphoreunion.com. Updated minutes will come forth for the next meeting on Saturday 1/26 at Cheryl York's home in Ka'a'awa.
January 14, 2012
Kapolei, Oahu (Leo’s House)
● Jenny Espinda
● Eric “Kaleo” and Marlene Keawe – email@example.com
● Cheryl York – firstname.lastname@example.org – Reunion Chair Person
● Greg and Judi Adolpho – email@example.com
● Malia Ruis – firstname.lastname@example.org – interim Secretary
● Puni and Kaleo Keawe-Aiko – email@example.com
● Hau’oli Keawe-Aiko (Puni’s sister) – firstname.lastname@example.org
● Iwa Keawe (wife of Aunty Genoa’s third child/son, Arthur) – email@example.com
● Alvin Kawa’a – firstname.lastname@example.org
● Nicole Poole (Eric & Marlene Keawe’s second child/daughter) – email@example.com
Note: Shaun Willing & Phyllis arrived after meeting
Location Updates: Final Decision Still Under Discussion
Not Available during summer:
2. Camp Erdman
3. Camp Mokuleia
4. Camp YMCA
5. Salvation Army Camp in Waialua
6. Makaha Church Camp
1. QLCC Ko’olauloa Unit (Punalu’u) – Available only to non-profit organizations and can not use during business hours (i.e., on Friday, 7/12/13). Has kitchen, bathrooms, conference room and no fee.
a. Eric “Kaleo” Keawe to see if the Genoa Keawe Foundation, which received it’s 501c3 in 2011, can act as sponsor for the Reunion.
b. Judi to check on:
i. Maximum group size, if any
ii. If we set up tents on Thursday (after 4:30 PM), can we leave those items when we vacate for the day on Friday (by 8AM)?
1. Kokololio (Kakela) – reservations only accepted 6 months in advance, first come first served via phone call (293-5564). Changes in the reservation process are anticipated. Concern is still the short time frame for making the reservation.
1. Hukilau Beach in Laie – reservations only accepted 6 months in advance with $100 deposit. No toilets, two showers.
1. Friends of Malaekahana – can only be reserved one year in advance. Available sites have various pricing and can accommodate various group sizes but is cost prohibitive at approximately $25 - $30 per person per night.
In general, the group felt that “free” is our best option making QLCC the first choice, at this time, assuming the non-profit situation works out.
Alternative Options Discussion
There has been ongoing discussion about doing “Oahu” type activities that include exposure to Waikiki, Water Park, Swap Meet, etc., in addition to cultural, island based activities like fish pond restoration, birthing stones, Mauna Ala, etc. With this in mind, we also discussed:
1) Registration on Thursday closer to Airport
a) Ala Moana Beach Park
b) Marriott Hotel – this is where Aunty Genoa’s gang performs, pool side, early evenings. Contract is renewed quarterly, so depends if contract still in place during time of reunion. Eric “Kaleo” will check if there are any family rates on rooms. Issue may be parking.
2) Scheduling Activities for Friday, maybe town side
3) Set up camp at QLCC Friday after 4:30 PM with Saturday Activities on the windward side
Again, our first priority is to firm up the location of the Reunion before deciding on Activities, etc.
We also had a brief discussion on NOT having a central camp site, similar to the Big Island Reunion where families found their own accommodations and gathered for certain events. This idea is tabled until our next meeting.
We had a brief discussion on a Reunion “Theme”, possibly something like “I’ll remember you” in memory of those we have lost, over time.
● Each family would create a collage, memory board, or some visual item that can be presented/displayed for others to view.
● Photos of the current generations would help us to see the various connections (i.e. each of the family lines or branches within that line) more clearly
This idea is still being flushed out.
The next meeting is scheduled for February 25, 2012, either Papakolea (community center) or Kailua (Iwa’s house).
2013 Adolpho Reunion Inaugural Meeting
October 24, 2011
Kaaawa, Oahu (Amoy’s House)
Date is set: July 11, 2013 – July 14, 2013
Suggestions and who will follow up with more information:
Concerns are availability, cost, and time frame for making reservation to ensure we have the location. Also, not sure if off island families are interested in camping – less expensive than hotel but some families at the Molokai reunion indicated that when they come to Oahu, they want to do Oahu activities (town). Committee will need to discuss this further and see what our options are.
Tentative Committees, no chairs named yet:
Following a similar layout as previous reunion, tentative agenda is as follows:
Want to keep registration the same as previous years about $25 per head and $125 for family of 5 or more, immediate family members only, but may be limited based on location and if there is a cost associated with the site (i.e. Malaekahana charges $3 per tent camper per night but site is secure/gated and has hot water showers) which would be in addition to the registration fee and T-shirt cost.
The next meeting is scheduled for January 14, 2012, location to be determined (Maybe Papakolea?)
Minutes by Malia Ruiz